Windows 10 can be a hefty operating system when it comes to updates and disk management. One of the issues with the latest OS of Microsoft is the Compatibility telemetry option, which is present in the Task Manager.
For those of you who have come across the issues with critical disk usage situation, the Microsoft compatibility telemetry holds the partition in hand. The Microsoft compatibility telemetry is a service provided by the Microsoft to collect technical data of your system and the software related information of their usability and working to Microsoft on an instantaneous manner to improve the user experience by fixing issues and threats.
While installing any software or running any software, you might find the system is slow, or the disk space might not be enough; this problem is related to the compatibility telemetry service of Microsoft. There are many ways to solve this problem.
First, to check how much disk space this service is holding back from you, open the task manager by pressing the ctrl+alt+del at once, and select the task manager option present at the bottom of the page. Under Microsoft windows search indexer you can find the compatibility telemetry service and how much of space it has been holding.
I am starting with the solutions.
Group policy editor
- Press Windows + r, in the search box type gpedit.msc and click ok.
- From the window that opened select the ”computer configuration” in which the ”administrative templates” is present.
- Expand that tab, and you will find ”Windows components.”
- Search for ”data collection and preview builds.”
- On opening the window, you will find an option to allow telemetry, double-clicking it will show you several options.
- Disable it and click ok.
- From the start, the menu opens the task scheduler by typing in the search bar.
- Find this location in the path: task scheduler library\microsoft\windows\application experience.
- In the side panel, there is a tab labeled as Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser as marked in the image.
- Right-click on it and disable it.